Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Singapore 19th to 21st of December

The final side-trip for "The Locusts" was to Singapore. As we were staying with family (Andrea and Conrad's; whose place I've dubbed "Hotel Singapura" for the number of times I've used it as a hotel) mum and dad decided to go down too. So the lot of us loaded up the MPV and drove down, not without incident I might add, as I discovered that my passport had slipped out of it's wallet which I had so carefully packed in my bag. So instead of leaving Malacca after lunch, we ended up leaving Malacca at 3pm instead. After descending in Hotel Singapura at about 7pm, we freshened up and went straight to dinner, after which we went back to Andrea's and called it a night.

The second day, we split up after brunch. "The Locusts" went off on a half day tour of Singapore including the "Tiger" Beer factory; mum & dad went off to their friends, Jin Siew and I went off to "Takasimaya" to exchange my malfunctioning "Aerochinno"; my milk frother for making capachinno and cafe lattes. It turns out that there is a delay safety mechanism built into the machine.

Later that night, the cousins; Andrea, Conrad & kids (Ian and Julian); the Locusts; Cheong, Jackie and myself had a lovely Italian dinner.

Dinner with the Cousins at Nanas

On the final day, we had brunch at Sentosa Cove before visiting the "Peranakan Museum". This proved to be fascinating finding out how similar and closely related the Singapore and Malacca Nyonya and Babas are.
Exhibits at the Peranakan Museum or furniture from Home?

After the Peranakan Museum, we went for high-tea at 'The Raffles" which of course turned out to be terrible and over-priced.


Mum, Dad & Ta Chi Nana on the Verandah of Raffles

So after Raffles, it was back to Malacca to celebrate Christmas.


In front of the Raffles Christmas Tree

Before ending this post, I would like to sincerely thank the friendly staff of "Hotel Singapura" for being efficient and accommodating.

No comments: