Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Batman - The Dark Knight


I've just got back from watching Batman- The Dark Knight; In fact, if you are going to the cinema only once this year, this is the film you should watch! Yes it was a great movie.

First of all, it's a long flim. Approximately 2 and a half hours as a matter of fact. This I did not appreciate when I went in to see it, so... since it was 6.30pm; I thought I'll bring a hotdog and a drink as it was close to dinner time. BAD IDEA!

Because after an hour and a half, when most movies would have ended, I needed to go to the loo. As the film was building to it's conclusion, yours truly had to hold on. Not much fun, I'll have to tell you. Anyway, it has worth hanging on.

If you had watch the first film, "Batman Begins", "The Dark Knight" has very much the same dark undercurrents. Absolutely no humour in it whatsoever, unlike the earlier films, remember Arnie as Mr. Freeze?

Obviously, one cannot review this film without mentioning Heath Ledger as the Jocker. With so much written about about how brillantly he played the part, one could not help wondering if all the adulation was because the chap is dead. All I can say is, what a way to go out. Leave them baying for more I say. It was an amazing performance. If you thought Jack Nicholson's Joker was good....though a little too manic and comic for me, Heath's Joker lay some where between Jack's manic Joker and Antony Hopkin's Hannibal Lecter. Actually just imagine Hannibal Lecter playing the Joker and you'll get the idea.

As for all the big action bits, they were excellent, however although they were large, loud and spectacular, they did not detract fom the plot or the darkness of the film. This was a "film noir" done Hollywood style.

Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!

No comments: